It’s an inevitable part of life; one day you’re young with youthful, glowing skin, and then all of a sudden you have creases, folds, or ridges in your skin. These imperfections are known as wrinkles, and they can appear around your eyes, mouth, and forehead. Wrinkles usually appear as people get older and develop due to a number of factors.
Wrinkles seem to appear out of nowhere, and it’s certainly no fun looking in the mirror and noticing signs of aging. However, there are ways to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and prevent more from forming.
Why Does the Skin Wrinkle?
Before we dive into the remedies for preventing and diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, let’s take a closer look into how wrinkles form in the first place. There are several reasons as to why wrinkles form on the skin, and the cause can’t be attributed to one single factor.
There are two types of aging: intrinsic aging (signs of aging that naturally occur over your lifetime and happen regardless of external factors), and extrinsic aging (aging that occurs due to environmental influences). Let’s take a look at some of the causes of wrinkles.
- Collagen Production. Collagen is the main component of connective tissue and the most abundant protein in mammals. Collagen production in our skin stops at age 40, and wrinkles form as the fibers begin to break and stiffen. Skin cell turnover slows, and it becomes more difficult for the cells to regenerate themselves.
- Chronological Aging. As the year’s pass, you begin to see more natural signs of aging. This can’t be controlled or stopped.
- Sebum (Oil). As the body ages, your skin produces less sebum (oil). This causes the texture of the skin to become dry and for wrinkles to become more visible.
- Sun Damage. Cumulative sun damage from not wearing sun protection every day, not seeking shade, and basking in sunlight with or without protection can lead to serious signs of aging.
- Repeated Facial Expressions. There’s a reason some parts of your face wrinkle faster than others (forehead, corners of your eyes, laugh lines). When you laugh, squint from the sun being too bright, or make any other facial expression, this naturally creates indents over time.
- Smoking. Smoking is bad for your health and causes wrinkles on your face. Nicotine causes a narrowing in the blood cells within the outermost layer of the epidermis. If blood flow decreases, the skin becomes deprives of oxygen and nutrients and wrinkles form prematurely.
- Pollution. Harmful molecules cause damage when they pull electrons from other molecules in our body. This alters chemical structures and accelerates the aging process.
How Can You Avoid Wrinkles?
Now that you know the causes of wrinkles, you can take actionable steps to avoid them. Natural aging will occur no matter what, but taking care of your skin can still significantly improve your complexion ensuring a youthful and radiant glow at every age. The following suggestions will help prevent and diminish signs of aging.
Follow a Strict Skincare Routine
Taking care of your skin is extremely important in preventing signs of aging. We recommend:
- A gentle water-soluble cleanser
- An alcohol-free toner
- A leave-on exfoliant that exfoliates skin naturally
- A daytime moisturizer with SPF
- A concentrated antioxidant-enriched serum
- Nighttime moisturizer with skin-restoring hydrating ingredients
- Products to address existing signs of aging: vitamin c, retinol, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide formulas
- For more aggressive anti-aging treatment consider: Retin-A, Microdermabrasion, Microneedling, Chemical Peels, BOTOX Cosmetic & Dermal Fillers with Jackie Carr at Pur-One Medispa.
Wear Sunscreen Every Day
The sun can be extremely harmful to your skin. It’s imperative that you wear SPF every single day no matter how long you plan to be outside; the sun can do damage in a matter of minutes.
Drink Plenty of Water
Drink at least eight, 8 oz. glasses of water per day. Our bodies are composed of mostly water, and keeping our bodies supplied with water has excellent health benefits. Drinking more water helps you achieve a youthful complexion and flushes your body of toxins.
Get Plenty of Sleep
When your body rests, the body increases blood flow to the skin. Blood flow helps assist in the regeneration of skin cells. Get your beauty rest and never fall asleep without taking makeup off.
Skin Concerns? Pur-One Medispa is the Answer!
Understanding the cause of wrinkles and what you can do to prevent and diminish signs of aging is essential; however, visiting a professional like Jackie Carr as Medispa allows for personalized treatment so that you can have your best-looking skin ever. Contact Pur-One today to set up your free consultation.